The Kariye Museum on the slope that goes down from Edirnekapi north to Halic in Istanbul is the church of Khora Monastery. We do not know the date of the construction of this church that was consecrated to Jesus Christ. It is still not true whether or not this church was built in the fourth century. In the sources of Byzantiums it is emphasized that it was constructed by a person Ayio Thedoro in the first half of century. According to these sources he is a commander and the uncle of Theodora, the wife of the Emperor Justinian I. He fought against the Sasanids and later settled in Antakya. Justinian summoned him to Istanbul to take part in a religious meeting. The monastery began to be built by this person who lived in Edirnekapl but in the 557th earthquake the monastery was destroyed. In this situation, the emperor built the monastery again larger than the previous plan. He consecrated one of three chapels of the monastery church to Mary. The first church building had the basilica plan and was ornamented with the mosaics. They had a bath and a home for the blind at his side. Today’s church has a square and dome plan on pedestals. The building made of cut stone and brick crossbar, has three aboisas that can be seen from outside. The central appendix is round and has protrusions on its sides. In front of the church are indoor and outdoor nartex. These parts are covered with the dome and bóve. you give. The interior of the naos is covered with marble. That is why only few mosaics remained today. The gain of a new fame of the Monastery and church of Khora, happened in the period of the Emperor of Alexio Comenno (1081-1118) towards the end of century XI. At that time, the very destroyed monastery was restored by Alexio’s mother-in-law; Maria Dukaina and had her church built with a different style of architecture. The church was consecrated to Jesus Christ. After a short time Alexio’s youngest son; Lssakio Comenno again built the church with a larger size and prepared a place of tomb at its most. Later, when he built the Kosmosoteria Monastery in Ferecik, the coast of the Rio Maritza, this time he moved the place of his tomb. Today to the right of the nartex department of the church, on the wall of this place of the tomb, is a table and mosaic panel depicting Jesus Christ. Underneath this table is the mosaic panel of issaiko Co merino. It is not known what the situation was from monastery to church during the Invasion Crusade of Istanbul (1204-1261). After 1261, Byzantium, one of the pioneer names of the palace Theodore Metohites, enlarged the monastery and the church of Karye between the years of 1316-1321 and decorated its interior with fresh mosaics. Teodoro Metohites added a chapel with the only naphtha, to the south side of this building in the first half of the fourteenth century. Below this tall and fine place which is considered as Parakkiesion, there is also a basement. It established a cuputa that has windows on its high pedestal to the center of this additional building. This square unites on the west-south corner, with the exterior corridor covering the western façade of the church. The mosaics and frescoes in Kariye, parallel to the Renaissance trend in Europe, show that it coalesced a new perception in the Bizancia painting. Theodore Metohites was described as presenting a model of the church to Jesus Christ on the front door. The mosaics of the church show the ex-scenarios of the Bible about the life of Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary. In these paintings importance was given to the rear plans, the constructions architectures and the reasons. And Here in these scenarios one sees openly the spirit the realism of daily life. The mimics of the figures and movements were drawn with high skill. In the inner nartex is a panel of Jesus that covers from top to bottom the whole wall. Of a figure kneeling before Mary and Jesus Christ, it is understood that this figure belongs to lssaiko Comenno who did build the church again in the twelfth century. There are few mosaics in the main place of the church. Only in the inner part of the door, on the antiolinal was described the last dream of Virgin Mary and the uprising of her spirit by Jesus Crito. (Koimesis). This building, which was empty after the conquest of Es-ambul, was transformed into the mosque by Vizir Atik Ali Pacha during the ll. 1482-1512). Between Sultan Beyazit both was added a round body minaret with a single minaret balcony to make cons In the minutes of the foundation prepared after the Inti Mosque of Atik Ali Pacha in Cemberitas, it was spoken of this building as the Mosque of Kenise. The fountains the mosque repaired between the years then P. Kuppas performed the restoration study here and cleaned some mosaics.
Chora Museum Istanbul